Head of Marketing
Our mission is to do things differently. We have been breaking new ground since inception in 1999. Journeys by Design is built on a sustainable travel model, crafting tailor-made journeys to Africa, with conservation and philanthropy as much at its core as luxury and adventure. Our conservation ethic has grown exponentially, resulting in the setting up of Wild Philanthropy, a charitable foundation supporting and protecting wilderness, wildlife and community projects on the ground in Africa. Wild Enterprise, our newly formed social enterprise, has invested in and supports a local tourism business in Ethiopia, Wild Expeditions Ethiopia. Global, national and local, our deep sense of ethic reaches back into Brighton where we operate a coffee shop on the ground floor connecting business to the local communities. Together, these companies combine as Africa House.
Journeys by Design has a strong brand in the luxury and frontier travel sector and has a renowned media presence, setting the trend by recognising the value of the international market very early on, working with publications in the US and the UK such as Condé Nast Traveller, Departures Magazine, The Financial Times, Robb Report and Travel & Leisure.
Wild Philanthropy is successfully emerging as a mechanism to provide investment in Africa, its people, wildlife and wilderness. Supported by our Friends, Wild Philanthropy successfully supports a number of high impact conservation and community development projects.
Wild Enterprise is a social enterprise which aims to blend profit and purpose by developing community-led tourism businesses that support conservation and community development. Its first impact investment has been into Wild Expeditions Ethiopia, which in its first few years has successfully taken the leading position in ethical travel in Ethiopia.
Africa House is both our physical home and the umbrella under which the various companies sit. It also has its own café, which helps connect us to our local community. Architecturally designed to create a tranquil yet productive space for the team, our offices are the envy of the industry. The cafe acts as a gateway into our building, allowing us to share some of the wonders of Africa through books, music and people.
Employed by Journeys by Design and reporting to the Managing Director, but working across all the Africa House brands, the Head of Marketing will be taking on an exciting and crucial role at Africa House. Journeys by Design, Wild Philanthropy, Wild Enterprise and the Africa House brands need steering into the next critical growth phase. The position will encompass strategic vision and planning, brand reinforcement, running new and innovative campaigns across traditional and digital channels.
Excellent market insight and analysis into new and emerging markets will be areas that excite you. You will have worked in the travel industry for at least 7 years, ideally with knowledge of the African market. We are looking for someone with an entrepreneurial mindset and confidence to take the strategic lead of the marketing function; bringing in new ideas and perspectives, whilst working closely both the marketing and the greater team at Africa House. You will have successfully worked with a range of influential individuals and organisations on a global level.
Drilling deeper into marketing performance, identifying metrics and the ability to recognise value, both in the terms of purpose and profit are vital. This is an exceptional opportunity for the right individual to showcase their flair for marketing and leadership in a truly unique and diverse growing group of ground-breaking businesses and charities.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Start date: Immediate
Duration of contract: Permanent position subject to successful completion of probation period
Probation period: Six months
Salary: £40,000-£60,000, depending on experience
Location: Africa House, Brunswick Row, Brighton BN1 4JZ. International and UK travel expected.
Benefits: Journeys by Design offers an attractive benefits package. As well as a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, we offer the following benefits.
- 25 days annual leave, exclusive of Bank Holidays and Christmas Closing
- Pension contribution
- Company performance related bonus
- Flexible working
- Beautiful offices close to Brighton train station
- Discount at our in-house Community Coffee Shop
Additional Benefits at the discretion of the MD:
- Annual working from home allowance to enable staff to work more effectively from home, available after one years' service
- Annual Personal Development fund for non-work-related training
- A day a month to work at a charity of your choice, fully paid
- Flexi-Fridays after one years' service, where staff can enjoy a blend of work and play
In addition to this, we operate a family-first office environment, encouraging staff to ensure a healthy balance between work and play. We believe that by treating our team fairly we not only create a positive working environment, we enable the delivery of a greater impact in terms of our group mission at Africa House. Very rarely do we find ‘going the extra mile' a problem. On the contrary, it's good for all.
Job title: Head of Marketing - Africa House
Reporting to: Managing Director
The Head of Marketing will:
- Take overall leadership of the brands represented at Africa House (Journeys by Design, Wild Philanthropy and Wild Enterprise). Also providing strategic support to Wild Expeditions Ethiopia.
- Lead in all marketing and communications areas of the businesses ensuring strength of brand and mission.
- Work within our management team working alongside the directors, setting strategic direction of the group.
- Manage and motivate a small team, with opportunities to develop and grow the function organically.
- Manage the Marketing budget and contribute to forecasting and budget setting processes
Leadership and strategy development
- Lead the marketing function of the business, managing and developing a small team.
- Work closely with, and as a part of, the company's core management team, to develop a marketing strategy that covers both traditional press and digital/social media. This would include identifying and developing marketing strategies that open new territories (eg Asia, South America).
- Play a key role as a member of core management team, providing effective and inspiring leadership for marketing team.
- Implement strategy, including developing performance metrics, to continue building the Africa House brands in relevant markets.
Traditional press and media
- Develop the existing media networks, generate new contacts - commissioning editors and journalists and grow relationships with new key publications.
- Design and possibly host press trips for journalists, editors and influencers.
- Source new story concepts and commissions with editors, journalists and influencers within relevant media channels.
- Responsible for all digital and print media, to ensure consistency with our brand and to be responsible for high quality editorial direction, design and production.
- Develop and grow our social media profile, through a carefully considered commercial and conservation context. Designing and leading new campaigns for team.
- Engage with Africa House team to creatively analyse and develop strategies to promote the business.
- Manage production of creative and intelligent content, working with team to ensure timely inclusion, including links from website, blogs and newsletters alongside original and innovative concepts; maximising benefit from collateral.
Websites and SEO
- Ongoing Development of Africa House websites, maximising potential of resource.
- Use analytic tools to evaluate and report on campaigns, digital channels and website performance.
- Working with both in-house and external consultants.
- Oversee ongoing web maintenance and content.
- Confident spokesperson for Africa House on a range of stages - for example - international forums and panels at conservation conferences, or Wild Philanthropy fundraising events, networking events with media personalities etc.
- Trouble shooting and ability to think on your feet is a must. As Head of Marketing, you will work on a number of self-generated and director-led projects. You will also lead the management team in terms of quality control within marketing.
- Design and develop own marketing ‘walkabouts' internationally and nationally to increase the reach of Africa House.
- Working with marketing team to develop events nationally and globally.
- Understand basic company accounting functions and be able to set budgets, understand their importance and read and interpret a profit and loss report.
- Ensure maximum return on investment from marketing budgets.
- Design reports for core management for performance indicators and underlying trends likely to affect future performance.
- Contribute to broader discussions on non-marketing topics.
- Strategic thinking - one of the key responsibilities is to set the strategic direction of marketing activities.
- Leadership - lead by example to create an effective and motivated marketing team as well as taking a leadership role within the business.
- Calm under pressure and able to hold their head in stressful situations.
- Innovative - a creative and lateral thinker. We are innovative by nature and leaders in our field and are looking for an innovative individual who will develop a new and unique marketing strategy.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to connect with people at all levels from local community members through to high net worth individuals.
- Commercially aware, excellent numeracy skills and proven management of marketing budgets.
- Highly organised and proactive, can-do positive attitude with drive and passion to achieve quality results.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, other languages useful.
- Technological Knowledge -Understanding how technology is shaping the world around us and how we can use this to our advantage
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- A degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience.
- Ideally 7 years' experience in the field of African travel and marketing.
- An understanding of the luxury travel market.
- Evidence of on-going personal and professional development.
- Well-developed address book of contacts into press and marketing platforms in the UK, US and potentially Middle East, Asia and South America.
- Experience of management and development of new and innovative marketing strategies.
- Up to date advanced knowledge of current trends in marketing.
- Experience of analysis of CRM systems, to optimise data to help drive growth.
- Understanding of finance and experience of managing budgets.
- Previous experience of developing and mentoring teams.
Desirable Knowledge and Experience
- Background, or a passion in conservation
- Advanced degree in marketing or relevant subject
- Experience working within a small and highly effective core management team
Essential Behavioural Qualities
- We have a strong organisational culture that we believe, allows us to operate more effectively. This is built on trust, mutual respect and a deep commitment to profit with purpose. We look to grow organically where appropriate, to drive our conservation ethic. The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate they share our vision.
- An empathy and enthusiasm towards both people, and our brands and their potential including the positive impact they can achieve. To further include our underlying ethics of conservation and philanthropy.
- Accessible and approachable - to provide high quality advice to team where needed.
- Communicate the work of Africa House positively both internally and externally.
- Sociable and a good sense of humour goes without saying…
Please submit your application, consisting of a covering letter, CV and contact details for two referees to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include where you saw the job advertised.
Deadline for applications is 6th April 2019.
Candidates selected for interview will be contacted by email or telephone. Please specify any preference for contact in your covering letter.
Regrettably, due to limited resources and the high number of applications we receive, we are only able to contact short-listed candidates. If you do not hear from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
Journeys by Design encourages applications from individuals with disabilities who are able to carry out the duties of the post. If you have any special needs in relation to your application please contact Rosanna Garrod, HR Manager on Tel: 01273 623790
Journeys by Design values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.