Head of Marketing
Head of Marketing
About the Company
Our mission is to transform the way people live in cities. With over 16 million possible combinations of gears, colours, handlebars and accessories, we make more than just a bicycle, and we are more than just a bicycle company.
We continue to make the Brompton in West London, where we started in 1975, but our product has travelled far - we now export 80% of our bicycles to 44 countries. In the past 36 months we have invested in a new purpose-built production facility, transformed our digital architecture, opened new flagship stores and had our biggest product launch in company history and we're not stopping there…
To change urban living, we need passionate, innovative and talented people that want to challenge the status quo and make an impact.
The role of the Head of Marketing requires an outstanding communicator with strong marketing skills and experience, and an ability to build and motivate a growing marketing team in a fast moving and entrepreneurial working environment.
Reporting directly to the Chief Commercial Officer, this role carries a significant degree of authority, responsibility, autonomy and planning; responsible for developing and implementing Brompton's international marketing strategy - developing and management annual budgets and our rolling 5 year plans.
Reflecting our entrepreneurial culture and unique product, our marketing will look to combine best practise with a desire to be innovative and not be afraid of trying new and exciting activities and methods.
In recent years the marketing team has grown to reflect our increased international responsibility as we have taken on distribution in the majority of our markets and built our direct to consumer channels (Brompton Junction retail stores and ecommerce). To meet our growth ambitions marketing need to build awareness, engagement and trial amongst a broader range of international prospective customers. Reaching these through creating outstanding content, partnerships, and events; fostering the advocacy of our passionate customer base; and supporting and leveraging the growth of our direct to consumer retail channels.
Building and motivating the marketing team to achieve our goals will be the role's greatest priority - so strong leadership skills are essential.
You will need to build a strong internal and external network - working across all Brompton departments (including our offices in New York and Shanghai), working closely with our top international retailers, and building agency and collaboration partners.
Over the next 24 months the launch of Brompton Electric across international markets is the company's #1 priority, and this role will have the responsibility of delivering the successful launch across our priority markets and building insight and plans to unlock the long term potential of what we will believe will transform both Brompton's business and our ability to deliver on our desire to transform the way people live in cities.
Beyond Electric, our long-term R&D investment means we have a continuous and strong innovation pipeline. So building the marketing's team capability and efficiency of launching new products will be increasingly important.
As we increase our direct to consumer retail channels (Brompton Junction and Ecommerce) we will have much more customer data and potential insight. This role will play a crucial role in finding ways to uncover this insight to improve our marketing effectiveness and inform our product innovation pipeline.
This is a high profile and exciting role. You will need to have an appetite to quickly learn the full breadth of our company's activities and products and have a passion and drive to lead our iconic British brand.
- International marketing strategy development
o Develop our brand vision and positioning
o Develop annual and rolling 5 year marketing strategy to deliver on our company growth ambitions
o Set long term marketing KPIs at a global and local marketing level
o Ensure our brand messages are strong and consistent across all channels
o Analyse customer profiles and behaviour to inform our marketing strategy
- Annual Marketing plan development and management
o Develop and get Board sign off for the annual marketing plan - covering all international markets (focus on our direct markets an channels) and products (including new product launches, such as Brompton Electric)
o Build KPIs and report monthly
o Manage broad mix of marketing activities and campaigns across our international markets and media channels
o Ensure strong co-ordination with our sales team and other relevant departments
- Marketing budget management
o Build and get Board sign off for annual marketing budget
o Report monthly on spend vs Budget and updated rolling forecast by activity
- Team Management and contribution
o Lead and develop the marketing team to deliver our growth ambitions covering the following areas:
- Creative and content (Brand Creative Manager, Graphic designer, videographer / photographer)
- Communications (Communications Manager, Social Media Exec)
- Trade marketing (Global Trade Marketing Manager, UK Trade Marketing Exec, Europe Trade Marketing Exec)
- Events (Events Exec, Events Intern)
o Work in partnership with the other commercial leads and their teams:
- Head of Sales
- Head of Customer Experience (including ecommerce, CRM, website and customer service)
- Head of Product Management (leading the development to launch of our new product pipeline)
- Head of Brompton Junction
- Brompton Bike Hire Managing Director
o Ensure a high standard of project management and delivery
- External network network and partnership development
o Build our brand network, including international marketing agencies, collaboration partners and influential brand advocates (including press, policy makers, and high profile customers)
o Develop strong partnerships with our international retailer network - focusing on national and premier dealers
- Marketing strategy and brand development skills - including creativity, brand communication across all channels, customer insight development and planning.
- Outstanding and passionate communicator
- Significant ability to influence and persuade others
- Self-motivated and ability to work in a fast-moving and entrepreneurial environment
- Project management proficiency and ability to set standards for your team to follow
- Strong analytical skills
- Market aware and commercially focussed
- Ability to work across cultures essential
- High energy
- Graduate with strong academic performance desired
- Minimum 8 years marketing experience, with a proven track record of success in senior marketing roles.
- International market experience
- Led a marketing team
- A passion for cycling
- Experience of working with or for an urban mobility brand a benefit
- Experience of working for a premium and market leading brand
- Experience of working for a fast moving and high growth brand
- Excellent references
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and embrace differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
- Huge discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too)
- Position to thrive. Whether you're early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme to name just a few…
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching
If you feel that you fit within the Brompton team spirit and you can bring talent, innovation and enthusiasm to our workforce then please email your CV and covering letter to the People team via the Apply button.
Applicants must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
The Company reserves the right to vary or amend the duties and responsibilities of the post holder at any time according to the needs of the Company's business.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Apply for Head of Marketing
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly