Head of Marketing
Head of Marketing
Whitgift is one of Britain's leading independent boarding and day schools for boys aged between 10 and 18 years, with approximately 1460 pupils including over one hundred boarding or flexi-boarding pupils. It was founded in 1596 by Elizabeth I's last Archbishop of Canterbury, John Whitgift, and is the oldest school in Croydon. Whitgift enjoys facilities of outstanding quality, amongst the best available nationally, in a beautiful parkland estate in South Croydon with excellent links to London, Surrey and the south coast.
We are seeking to appoint a dynamic, well-qualified and experienced Head of Marketing for Whitgift School. This is a high-profile role which will include co-ordinating and implementing all advertising, social media, websites, PR and publications. The successful candidate will manage the Marketing team and lead the School in this essential area. A professional Marketing qualification and/or relevant leadership experience, along with strong organisational and interpersonal skills are essential for this post.
OUTLINE OF POST:
The Head of Marketing is directly responsible to the Second Master for leading and developing the School's marketing and public relations, overseeing Open Days and Evenings, and ensuring a high standard of innovative and appropriate publicity and advertisement of all school activities, including the Summer School.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To co-ordinate and implement all advertising, social media, websites, PR and publications so as to ensure a highly positive profile for Whitgift;
- To manage the marketing budget effectively;
- To manage the Marketing Team ensuring they are a high performing team;
- To promote the Summer School, WAVPA and other school-related enterprises, ensuring high standards, successful operation and continued development;
- To establish, reinforce and communicate the School's corporate image and brand, championing the benefits of being part of the wider Whitgift Foundation;
- To extend marketing from a department to a school-wide activity affecting all aspects of parental contact;
- To lead on the development of the role of the Marketing and Alumni Offices internally and externally;
- To develop a strategy for marketing and keep it up to date;
- Liaising with the Estates Manager and Director of Finance and Operations, to promote use of the School's facilities to appropriate outside agencies, both for profit and for the benefit of the community;
- To develop positive relations with all staff, both academic and support staff, so as to harness their goodwill and support for various initiatives and events throughout the school year;
- To oversee invitation lists to major events, ensuring that key people, such as Foundation governors and notable alumni, are invited.
Team Management and Project Work may include:
- Manage and ensure the smooth running of the Marketing Team, consisting of Marketing Executives, Alumni & Marketing Assistant and Graphic Designer;
- Oversee the workload of the Marketing Team, responding to new requests from the Headmaster, Senior Management Team and Heads of Departments, ensuring delivery of communications are integrated with the overall Whitgift School development plan;
- Continued development of overall marketing strategy for the School, ensuring it is in line with whole school objectives;
- Work with the Marketing Team to ensure consistency of branding is executed across all marketing channels and materials (including print, digital and other);
- Co-ordinate the Open Morning marketing plan for the team - overseeing the preparation for Open Mornings, Open Evenings, Open Afternoons and similar promotional events;
- Liaise with the Headmaster, Graphic Designer and Marketing Executives to produce other major publications e.g. Whitgiftian, one-off publications, events programmes etc.;
- Liaise with the Marketing Executives on development of website;
- Liaise with the Alumni and Marketing Assistant on relevant special projects: e.g. Open Garden events, images for school display (agree these for update over the summer);
- Generate marketing content: for website, articles, publications, Open Morning and other special projects;
- Work with the Headmaster and other members of the Senior Management Team to manage stand-alone assignments, which could involve:
o Developing marketing strategy, implementing new initiatives
o Writing briefs, sourcing external providers, assessing quotes
o Image sourcing, copywriting and proofreading
o Brainstorming and developing ideas and new suggestions
- Consider and approve potential advertising opportunities, liaising closely with the Alumni and Marketing Assistant;
- Understand the ethos of the School, its relevance in the local schools market, the community and the Whitgift Foundation (including the principles of John Whitgift).
- Marketing Team
To carry out the duties and responsibilities of the post, in accordance with the School's Health and Safety Policy and relevant Health and Safety Legislation.
The Whitgift Foundation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young and elderly people in their care and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
To ensure that all services within the areas of responsibility are provided in accordance with the School's commitment to high quality service provision.
This job description will be reviewed annually and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after consultation with the post holder. It is not a comprehensive statement of procedures and tasks but sets out the main expectations of the School in relation to the post holder's professional responsibilities and duties.
- Degree level or equivalent
- Professional Marketing qualification and/or relevant leadership experience
- Experience working in the Education sector
- Experience of producing high quality print publications
- Experience generating marketing strategies, across multiple channels
- Managerial experience
- Good-humoured with the desire to achieve the highest standards
- An independent self-starter with the ability to lead and motivate a team
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, able to adapt style in relation to differing stakeholder groups
- Commercially minded with budget management experience
- Experience, understanding or a strong awareness of digital marketing media to ensure the success of the School's online business and digital marketing strategy, including corporate image, social media and websites
- Reliable, enthusiastic, highly organised and able to work unsupervised with excellent attention to detail
- Flexibility of working hours required to attend various events and functions in the evenings and weekends
- Previous experience of producing high quality marketing publications and running successful events/functions
- Editorial and/or publishing experience
- Previous experience of working within the independent school sector
- Understanding of the needs of a thriving and busy school environment
All of our staff benefit from a competitive remuneration package, including:
- 25 days' holiday to be taken in school holiday periods
- Membership of a generous money purchase pension scheme for all support staff which includes 3 x salary life assurance cover
- Free access to an Employee Discount Club, which offers discounted rates on a range of products and services, including insurance, holidays and travel, fashion and retail
- Discounted school fees for permanent staff working at, or for, the Foundation Schools
- Discounted off-peak membership at our onsite gym, Nuffield Health
- Membership of the Simply Health Cash Plan Scheme, which gives financial support towards the cost of optical, dental and medical costs as well as a free 24 hour advice line for all staff
- A range of family-friendly benefits including enhanced maternity pay and childcare vouchers
- Season ticket loan
- Onsite parking
- Lunch is available onsite during term time
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
This position is offered as a permanent, full-time, full-year contract.
The Head of Marketing will work 5 days per week. The hours are 8.30am to 5.30pm (40 hours per week) with a one-hour unpaid lunch break. There will be an occasional requirement for flexibility with start and finishing times to meet the needs of the department or for school events throughout the year. Any changes will be mutually agreed with your line manager in advance.
The salary range for this post will be Point 36-40 on the Whitgift Foundation Support Staff Salary Scale, dependant on qualifications and relevant experience. This is currently £40,000-45,000 per annum. Salaries are reviewed annually on 1 September.
We welcome applications from all parts of our community as we aspire to attract staff that matches the social and cultural diversity of our student intake.
To apply, please click the Apply button. For any queries, please telephone 020 8688 9222 or e-mail the Human Resources Department at SchoolHR@whitgift.co.uk.
Applications will be reviewed on a daily basis and interviews may occur at any stage after applications are received so we invite interested candidates to apply as soon as possible.
As a result of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996, employers now have to verify that new recruits who are not British Nationals are eligible to work in this country. Therefore any applicant who is offered an interview will be asked to provide official documentation to verify their ID, address and right to work in the UK. It is also normal practice for the School to ask for original qualifications and professional membership documents as detailed on their application.
Whitgift School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people, and applicants must be willing to undergo safeguarding and child protection screening including checks with past employers and the Disclosure & Barring Service.