Senior Industrial Designer
Senior Industrial Designer / Cambridge / £ 45k+ (Negotiable) / Permanent
Skills: Product Design, Industrial Design, Design Management, Consumer Products, Medical, Solidworks, Keyshot, UI/UX
An award winging product development and technology consultancy is looking to expand their Industrial Design Team. They are currently looking for a talented and creative Industrial Designer with experience leading and developing innovative and exciting solutions. This is an established company that is experiencing exponential growth, winning multiple awards, and recognised as a market leader in delivering high impact solutions from blue chip companies to small start-ups. They have a multi-disciplinary team and work in sectors such as Medical, Defence and Security and telecoms. With spectacular offices and labs based in Cambridge you will be working with the best technology in the industry with a clear path for growth and development.
THE SENIOR DESIGNER JOB
- Leading the design input on a variety of projects in the Consumer, Industrial and Energy and Defence and Security market sectors.
- Balancing a leading role on multiple projects with delivering high quality design content in a fast-paced environment.
- Appreciation and experience in implementing different design approaches according to market sector e.g. focus on usability and efficiency for industrial projects and on desirability and experience for consumer projects.
- Understanding and analysing a client's problem and distinguishing between what is wanted and what is needed.
- Keeping abreast of future trends and working with business developers to access and address new market opportunities.
- Understanding the value that design can bring to various markets and understanding how these markets differ in their requirements for design.
- Working closely with designers, engineers and technicians of different disciplines to better 'inform' designs and create excellent products.
- Demonstrating empathy with users, with the ability to identify needs and translate them into viable designs Creative problem solving and innovative concept generation.
- Leading (and desire to learn from) existing design team members.
- Supporting and mentoring more junior designers in your capacity as a senior member of the team.
ABOUT THE SENIOR DESIGNER
- Strong Bachelor's degree in Product/ Industrial Design or equivalent.
- Extensive experience working in a product development environment.
- Evidence of working in collaboration with technical teams in the development of in-market products in at least one of our market sectors.
- Track record of managing projects and client relationships.
- First-hand experience in balancing design requirements with technical constraints.
- Keen interest in product design and new technology.
- Proficiency in standard design tools: Sketchbook, Adobe Suite, SolidWorks (surfacing and solid) and Keyshot.
- A creative problem solver with a keen eye for detail and ability to communicate this visually and verbally.
- Ability to facilitate creative workshops.
- A good understanding of UI/UX.