Senior Manager, Marketing Excellence (4 or 5 day week)
A unique opportunity for an experienced FMCG marketing professional to play an integral role in building the capability of Twinings' international brand, innovation and insight community. As a key member of the International Marketing Excellence team based in the UK you will help develop and deploy leading edge training, tools, processes and ways of working to a 100-strong marketing community at all levels and numerous countries around the world.
Twinings is an autonomous and highly values-driven business within the Associated British Foods Group, a diversified international food, ingredients and retail group with operations in 50 countries and a portfolio that also includes Silver Spoon, Jordans and Dorset cereals, Ryvita, Kingsmill, Patak's, Blue Dragon and Primark.
Twinings' fosters a culture that is fast paced, challenging, innovative and non-hierarchical, where people skills and authenticity are just as important as hard work and capability. For information about life and the culture at Twinings, please visit www.twiningspeople.co.uk
The Marketing Excellence team vision is to effortlessly integrate world class marketing practice into everyday life, accelerating the progress of Twinings' marketing people, brands and business. They are the passionate conscience of the business, inspired to discover new ways and develop and share best practice with colleagues around the world.
The team is a highly regarded centre of marketing excellence with open dialogue to and influence over the General Managers and Marketing Directors around the world. Since its inception in 2011, the team have made a huge impact on the capability and effectiveness of marketers at all levels of the business, in all countries they operate.
Each year, the Marketing Excellence team lead and run a calendar of events designed to align to overall business objectives as well as individual development plans. The calendar includes a variety of bespoke programmes, workshops and initiatives delivered in the UK or international, in personal or virtually, subject to the specific audience and stated objectives.
Part consultant, part coach, part trouble shooter this is a highly rewarding and varied role where the emphasis is on enabling colleagues to build brands, best in class communications and high performing teams.
As a key member of the International Marketing Excellence team, this role is responsible for providing and delivering thought leadership, new ways/approaches, training tools and training materials that address the capability gaps identified at:
- a total organisation level (in line with business objectives e.g. improve innovation effectiveness)
- a local market level (a specific country needs coaching or improvement)
- an individual level (based on person development plan and skill competency reviews)
Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with the Head of Marketing Excellence and Marketing Excellence Executive, external experts and internal stakeholders (General Managers, Marketing Directors and HR Directors) to lead and drive the MEX capability agenda and to develop and deliver best in class training modules and support tools that provide knowledge, inspiration and a pathway towards marketing excellence
- Lead and deliver the internal webinar programme which shares local learning, brings in external speakers and builds collaboration across all international markets
- Support the HoMEx in developing and delivering the Annual Masterclass program to all General Managers, Marketing Directors and their teams through the year
- Own and lead local/in market training programme, aligned to market “jobs to be done” and individual development needs. Manage quarterly “foundations” programme designed to both on board and embed all new starters in the “Twinings/Ovo Marketing way” and to refresh core content and modules with existing team
- Provide 1-to-1 coaching and advice to members of the marketing community
Provide thought leadership; look outside to industry thought leaders, industry trends and developments. Bring in fresh thinking and content to support existing training. Manage and expand the external “expert panel” (subject matter experts from a variety of marketing specialists eg neuroscience, innovation, digital), who partner with Twinings to provide both ad hoc consultancy support and lead specific projects to bring in leading-edge ways of working
- Manage the internal marketing capability development and tracking KPI programme. Provide training and support for use of the on-line tool, as well as providing analysis for the country General Managers, Marketing Directors and HR Directors for regular capability reviews to discuss progress against objectives
In this central role this individual must be able to engage, influence and inspire colleagues of all experience levels and as such, we are looking for someone with first class communication skills, a strong networker and a motivating coach and presenter who thrives on delivering an agenda that enables others to continuously improve.
- Blue chip FMCG trained marketing professional with experience of leading teams and brands at Senior Manager or Director level
- A highly consumer-centric approach with significant experience of brand planning, communications development including digital and social media
- Experience of working within more than one part of a multinational matrix organisation, ideally regional/global as well as local
- First hand experience of working in a capability role (client-side or consultancy) would be advantageous but not essential
Interpersonal style and strengths
- A highly curious, open-minded individual with an appetite for new ways and continuous improvement
- Big picture thinker with the ability to shape, or coach the shaping of, vision
- First class communication, engaging, credible and influential
- Self starter mentality, able to set own agenda, drive through project to completion with limited resources
- Adaptable and supportive, flexes style and approach to suit audiences across geographic and cultural borders
- Tenacious, resilient and pragmatic, someone able to work without fixed process and capable of overcoming hurdles
- Team player without personal ego or agenda, someone that thrives in the development of others and the “team as a whole”