3D PACKAGING DESIGNER
Are you ready to join the chocolate revolution?
Hotel Chocolat is one of the world's few chocolate makers to actually grow cocoa, on our beautiful plantation in Saint Lucia. Connecting cocoa growing with luxury chocolate making and retailing makes us unique in the UK.
It's an exciting time to join Hotel Chocolat; we are a fast paced, innovative business, always looking to write the next chapter of our story.
This role is accountable for the creation of 3D design solutions from concept to production, for all new product development and requirements. Primarily focused on packaging (primary and secondary), it also includes product and may extend occasionally to other 3-dimensional requirements.
Its objective is to proactively evolve, and sustain the representation of the Hotel Chocolat brand values throughout all 3-dimensional design.
**When applying, please include examples of your work or a link to a portfolio of your recent work **
Your role will incorporate:
- Responsibility for the design and development of the below formats, from supporting existing items to new innovative solutions:
- Secondary packaging (boxes, bags, pouches, vac-form trays, etc)
- Primary packaging (jars, tubes, bottles…)
- Products (chocolates, moulds)
- Design considerations to include structure, materials, colours, textures, as well as graphic applications
- Producing detailed, final drawings and technical specifications
- Researching materials, structures, processes and market requirements
- Rolling-out designs into a range of products, having considered this as an essential component of the original design
- Developing design-led strategic thinking across all branding projects on an international platform. Crafting conceptual and strategic ideas, led by innovative thinking across a range of media
- Accountable for reviewing and assessing the designs against technical feasibility, performance and cost parameters
- Testing the design concept by computerised modelling or hands-on testing of models. Also responsible for the coordination, production and assessment of samples and prototypes
- Travelling to Hotel Chocolat and 3rd party production facilities to evaluate the feasibility, monitor the development and assess quality of production/design
- Meeting with key stakeholders - internal and external - to establish the design brief, discuss performance and production criteria, appropriate production processes, costs and commercial issues
- Ability to work alongside the Creative Operations Manager, third party suppliers/manufacturers, and relevant Head of Departments to work on budget of the designed item to make sure it's cost effective
- Comfortable bringing ideas to the table, running stakeholders through concepts and have an overall understanding of strategy and positioning in regards to the Hotel Chocolat br
Your Key Attributes:
- BA Hons in industrial/product design or equivalent is a minimum.
- Fluent in Adobe Creative Suite. Good level of knowledge in MS Office
- Excellent 3D visualisation and crafting skills required. CAD and 3D software knowledge a must.
- Exceptionally high standard of conceptual thinking and delivery through to production
- Good written and verbal communication skills are required
- Exceptionally high standard of three-dimensional conceptual thinking and delivery through to production with meticulous attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Good understanding of production processes in order to understand what is possible and to push the boundaries when necessary
- A broad knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes, balanced with creative ability and a hands-on approach
- Commercial awareness and a track record of working on a global brand across multiple markets. Also need to be able to demonstrate a good understanding of range building
- Great awareness of current and future trends, with a strong understanding of luxury branding
- Highly organised with exemplary time management and a flexible approach. Ability to plan and deliver to deadlines
- A clear communicator who can multi-task and remain calm in a pressurised and fast paced environment. Strong attention to detail and ability to prioritise
- Ability to develop strong partnerships and build consensus as a team player. Enthusiastic and supportive of other team members and equally capable of working independently
- Strong confident personality, with passion, energy and aspiration in line with the Hotel Chocolat brand and people values
- Resourceful, proactive and entirely flexible; thrives on positive change
- Able to travel throughout UK and some overseas trips
People who work at Hotel Chocolat are passionate about what we do, and we all strive to deliver in line with our company values; Authenticity, Originality and Ethics. We have some great benefits, including unlimited 50% staff discount on all of our products. We enjoy seeing our employees develop, and we offer different opportunities to meet individual ambitions, alongside the prestigious certificate and/or diploma in chocolate - which is available to all members of staff.
To apply for this role please click the Apply button.